Friday, May 15, 2009

Planning for the Future – Should I Go Back to School for an MBA?

A good friend of my father's got me a job working for an internet marketing company while I was in the process of earning a Bachelor’s degree. I first took the job as a means of paying my way through my upcoming years at school, but quickly realized that this particular job had tremendous potential, especially in my field of study. Fast forward to four full calendar years from when I started working for this company, I am enjoying everything about it except for the fact that I am at the bottom of the managerial food chain. This is when I realized that going back to school for an MBA might be a smart career move.

Like anything in life, I first had to weigh the pros and cons of pursuing an MBA. Earning this level of business education would help me achieve my future career goal of upper management in a lot less time, while preparing me for a lifetime of management responsibilities. An MBA will also help me obtain the career I need to own my own home, support my family and have a better overall quality of life. I can build a greater network of fellow students, faculty and alumni by going back to school, which will optimize both my career and life opportunities.

The cons of going back to school, however, were just as easy to spot. Graduate degree programs are expensive, time consuming and require a lot of hard work. As much as a person would love to obtain the knowledge and credentials required to reach a higher level of success, sometimes it helps to accept exactly where we are at and take it one day at a time. For me, this means focusing entirely on my current career and advancing gradually, which seems like a respectable approach.
With an MBA, I would have the opportunity to make more than twice the amount of money I am making now while being recognized for my leadership and management skills. An MBA will also help build the business skills I need to advance my current career while providing me the versatility to change careers should I ever need to. After all, in our current economic crisis, you can never be too sure about the security of your job, so it helps to be prepared for the worst. In addition, I have to consider that I may want to start my own business someday, and an MBA will help me do that.

Aside from my long-term career goals of upper management, going back to school for an MBA also seems like a good fit for my life as it is right now. I do feel it is time to move out of my parent’s house and start my own life, but I don’t have the financial stability to do it. On the positive side, I am only 26 years old, so I still have the time to go back to school, earn an MBA inside of two years and buy my first home before I reach 30. On the other hand, I don’t know if I can handle working a full time job while taking on a full time schedule at school. If I wanted to pursue a higher education to enhance my middle management career, I needed to find a program that would complement my current agenda. This is when I discovered Adelphi University’s School of Business MBA program.

I heard about Adelphi University’s amMBA Manhattan Center Program from a friend, and logged on to their website to learn more about it. Created especially for busy working managers, the program is accredited by AACSB , and offers many unique aspects such as a 42-credit curriculum and early morning courses in eight-week terms. The School of Business amMBA program begins this fall, offering courses in management styles and information systems, team building, corporate finance and other subjects that will help me grow my career. Adelphi was recognized as a "Best Buy" in education by the Fiske Guide to Colleges and offers assistance with financial aid. It sounds really convenient and works perfectly into my schedule, so I'm seriously considering it and looking into the qualifications I need to apply. Despite the intense workload, it may be the best choice at this time.

http://www.adelphi.edu/manhattan/business.php

No comments:

Post a Comment